NYSERNet Position Description
Title: Director of Information Technology
Supervisor: Chief Operating Officer
Job Classification: Exempt
The IT Director is responsible for planning, organizing, and executing of all IT functions within NYSERNet. This includes directing all IT operations to meet stakeholder requirements, as well as the support and maintenance of existing applications and development of new technical solutions.
The Director of Information Technology is a key leadership position at NYSERNet. Working in collaboration with NYSERNet staff, vendors, and members of NYSERNet’s IT department, the Director of Information Technology is responsible for leading the development of NYSERNet’s IT vision, developing and implementing supporting IT projects, and overseeing operation of NYSERNet’s complex IT environment. In collaboration with NYSERNet’s COO and CTO, the Director of Information Technology leads the development of systems designed to support NYSERNet’s member-facing operations, including: network monitoring, network statistics, customer information systems, and document management systems. The Director of Information Technology may from time-to-time also be called upon to contribute to NYSERNet’s product development efforts. The Director of Information Technology is a hands-on position, requiring an individual who is interested in and capable of contributing to a large and expanding variety of IT and network-related projects.
– Analyzes complex business needs presented by users and/or clients and recommends technical solutions
– Ensure the consistency and maintainability of existing applications by creating, maintaining, and enforcing standards/procedures for implementing technical solutions
– Produce detailed time line for each application release and IT project, and implements effective project control by monitoring progress and reporting status
– Direct and prioritizes the work load of subordinate personnel
– Review all designs, code and unit test plans where applicable
– Approve all business requirements prior to the technical solution
– Participate on all hardware and software evaluations and maintains vendor contracts
– Represent the IT function at customer review meeting when appropriate
– Perform liaison duties between users, operations, and programming personnel in the areas of systems design, modifications or troubleshooting
– Conduct interviews and makes recommendations for new hires, consultants and/or replacement personnel
– Establish IT policies, standards, practices, and security measures to provide effective and consistent information processing to ensure the integrity and reliability of information, communications, and office systems.
– Maintain knowledge of developments in the area of systems and hardware technologies and make recommendations for incorporating these new developments into the future needs of the company
– Maintain effective communication with all operating and staff organizations to assure that information systems and technologies for current and future business requirements are provided, improved, and replaced as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
– Experience in implementing effective and innovative software development methodologies
– Proven leadership ability
– Ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences
– Outstanding writing and interpersonal communication skills
– Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects and motivate professional staff
– Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
– Demonstrated aptitude for learning new technologies
– Broad knowledge of information technology systems, concepts, and methodologies
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Industrial Technology, Computer Sciences, a related field, or equivalent experience.
Minimum eight (8) years’ experience within Information Technology with a record of increasing responsibility and accomplishment.
Successful and substantial supervisory experience.
Experience in many or most of following technologies/products: PHP, MySQL, Linux, Windows (desktop and server OS), IT security, server and desktop virtualization (VMware preferred), Microsoft Office, and Cisco IOS.
Also desirable but not essential: Intermapper and Foreseer.
Occasionally work evenings, weekends and other non-traditional hours. Available to participate in IT on-call rotation. The position requires some travel to various locations within New York State and occasional overnight travel outside of the state. Must be available for weekend work to meet project deadlines. NYSERNet is an Equal Opportunity M/F/V/D Employer.
$90K to $100K depending on qualifications.
How to apply
Submit your resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.