Research competitiveness depends on research infrastructure. Researchers who wish to remain competitive in their field must learn how to acquire and employ emerging technology and new tools, and to use them to collaborate in new ways with other scientists.
NYSERNet’s Research and Education Network (R&E) supports basic and applied research by providing a robust, stable and extremely low-latency network capable of supporting applications requiring uncompromised connectivity.
With egress to Internet2 and National Lambda Rail, the NYSERNet R&E Network enables research between collaborating institutions and among collaborating researchers anywhere in the world, offering researchers virtually limitless capability to employ research-supporting technology including:
- sustained connectivity to super-computing centers worldwide;
- access to remote research equipment like electron microscopes, telescopes and ROVs;
- live and archived HD, 3D, and SD video and imaging;
- transfer of large datasets to and from facilities such as CERN, NASA, NOAA, and NIH; and
- high-fidelity audio from live acoustical sources and archives.
NYSERNet’s R&E Network offers researchers the unique ability to employ HD and SD multicasting to share research results and findings. Using multicast, researchers can host broadcast-quality research colloquiums and symposiums, and conduct workshops and seminars with collaborators worldwide. Conversely, researchers, faculty and staff can use the R&E Network for remote participation at off-site events and share their ideas and efforts with colleagues from the comfort of their own facilities.
In tandem with the R&E Network, NYSERNet offers additional services supporting the research efforts of member institutions, including:
- For institutions in the New York City metropolitan area, access to NYSERNet’s Metro Dark Fiber Network with the ability to construct scalable, reliable, diverse private network facilities interconnecting with NYSERNet, commercial providers and many of New York City’s leading research institutions.
- Remote hosting of research servers and databases, real or virtual, and/or insurance against the loss of records and research related documents via NYSERNet’s Syracuse-based Business Continuity Center.
- Optical waves (1 Gb and 10 Gb) and GigE circuit services that can be used for point-to-point private connectivity, with other NYSERNet member research institutions.
For more information about the ways NYSERNet can help advance your institutions research agenda, please contact NYSERNet membership staff.